Skip to main content

Vanity Dressing Table Makeover With Chrome Silver Metallic Paint

Painting a pine wooden dressing table with metallic spray paint

Dressing table painted in metallic chrome silver

Pine vanity dressing table before painting

wooden dressing table before painting
I managed to find an old pine dressing table in a second hand shop, which only cost £65 with the mirror and stool.  It has 6 deep drawers, a stool and a 3 way mirror.  Perfect for keeping all my make-up, hair products and nick-knacks all in one place.  It was just the wrong colour!

I debated painting it shabby chic white which would look lovely but I decided to try something different for a change.  The colour scheme for my new bedroom will be grey and silver so I thought I would try painting this piece of furniture in a metallic silver.

When I looked at the silver spray paints I noticed that chrome had more sheen to it than the silver so I thought I would give it a try.  The paint I chose was Rust-oleum Metallic brilliant finish in Chrome spray paint.

Preparation

The dresser needed a sanding down and it had a few digs and scratches in the wood, which would have enhanced the look of a shabby chic project, but would deter the finish of the metallic look.  I used wood filler on any noticeable dents and scratches and once the filler was dry I lightly sanded over the whole piece of furniture again.

As I was going to use spray paint I needed to protect the areas that didn't need painting such as the drawer inserts and the mirror.  Bin bags were taped over the drawers to just reveal the drawer fronts and I covered the mirrors with paper and bubble wrap and carefully taped around the wood frames.

Undercoat/ primer

Two coats of grey wood primer was painted by brush onto all the wood surfaces and allowed to dry in between coats.
one coat of grey wood primer

one coat of grey wood primer on drawer fronts
As can be seen on the photo's, one coat of primer didn't give enough coverage but once a second coat was added it gave a more solid base colour.

Once dry I gave a very light sanding as there were some brush marks.  In hindsight I should have tried a spray primer to eliminate the brush stokes completely.

Spray painting with Rust-oleum

I moved all the pieces into the garden and sprayed everything with a coat of Rust-oleum metallic brilliant finish in Chrome.

I loved using this spray paint!  So much easier than using a brush.  It dried very quickly too.  I was able to apply two coats of the spray paint within a reasonably short time and then left everything to dry.
Dresser with 1 coat of spray paint

spraying all the furniture in the garden
I had removed all of the handles and decided to try to spray them too.  Previously they were an almost black colour but they sprayed easily with the chrome.
sprayed drawer handles


spray painted dresser mirror

I left everything to dry for a day and then sprayed on 2 coats of Rust-oleum Polyurethane Finish in clear gloss finish.  This gave it all a protective shine.

The results

It took only three days to complete the project and I was very pleased with the results.  It doesn't have a mirror shine like chrome but it does look a metallic silver colour which was what I intended.

Vanity Dressing Table painted silver chrome





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Decorating The Spare Guest Bedroom

This room was previously a child's bedroom according the the lilac carpet and pink disney wallpaper. Before... The first job was to strip the wallpaper which was an easy job as the paper was the pre-glued type and peeled off like child's stickers. The walls were then prepared by filling holes and then sanding down. The carpet was heavily stained so this was removed and replaced with a bargain buy remnant that cost only £59 from a carpet shop closing down sale . The new carpet is a thick, short pile, hessian back in a wine colour. The colour scheme for this room was determined by the bargain buy carpet. We decided on a neutral 'soft white' for the walls and used burgundy and gold bedding to match the carpet. After...

Garden Projects - Building a small rockery in a weekend on a budget

My Weekend Garden Rockery my weekend garden rockery after 2 months After collecting together all the rubble, rocks and plants this rockery was actually built from scratch in 2 days! Before the rockery I had a small area of soil, which was an odd shape, in between some of the concreted areas in the garden.  The previous owners must have used it as a planting area but there was no sign of any viable plants left.  When I got my new puppy he decided to use this area as a toilet and I needed to distract him from this.  Last year I planted this area with busy lizzy's which did look pretty but with a new puppy I didn't think that filling this area with flowers (for him to dig up and eat) would be a good idea!   Around the garden I had quite a bit of hardcore and bricks as well as large stones so I decided to build a rockery.  It is the first time that I have built one from scratch and probably isn't the best looking rockery but I am pleased with it anyway.  It has u

Photo's of Lloyd Loom Style Chairs Before Painting

I brushed the chairs with a stiff washing up brush first to remove any dirt and dust and then vaccumed the dust from them. The first chair is a nursing chair as it has a removable seat where you can store bits and bobs. The Lloyd Loom Style Nursing Chair Before Painting ... With the seat removed ... I forgot to take a photo of the other chair before painting but this is a photo of it with one coat of paint Before painting I taped up the brass feet of the nursing chair to keep them clean and removed the seat. I have used a car spray paint in white gloss which was only £1 per tin in a local cheap shop. I shook the tins well before use and did even coats over each chair. There were a lot of fumes from the paint so I recommend opening windows or doing them outside! So far I am on the 3rd tin of paint and have managed to do 2 full coats on each chair. There were a few drips where the paint went on heavily and I used a small brush to ease these away. I think the ch